65 | A Chat With Tara Button
Listen to Episode 65: A Chat With Tara Button
Also Available on iTunes
This week, I'm joined by the author and entrepreneur, Tara Button, to discuss Tara's new book A Life Less Throwaway. Tara started her business, Buy Me Once, when she felt frustrated by how hard it was to find quality products that were guaranteed to last. Clearly, many others felt the same, as her website instantly attracted a huge number of hits and attention from national and international press. Realising she was on to something big, Tara quit her day job and made Buy Me Once her full time career.
A Life Less Throwaway is a brilliant guide to living and shopping more mindfully. Drawing on her previous experience working in advertising, Tara unveils the tricks of the trade in how companies tempt people into buying more than they need, and lays down guidelines on how to curate a home filled with only products that reflect your values and are made to last.
In our conversation, Tara explains more about how she went from spendthrift habits to appreciating the value in buying once and buying for life. She also gives helpful tips on how to give your house a thorough declutter and what you should do if you think you're bored with your domestic environment.
Tara also shares her all time favourite buys, from a pen with limitless ink, to a hot pink umbrella that saves her £100s in the long-run. This is a fantastic episode for anyone needing a little spring cleaning inspiration, or who wishes to shop more carefully.
Listen to learn more about Tara's story and how to live mindfully in a throwaway culture.
- 00:56 - Miranda introduces Tara Button.
- 02:31 - What Tara was doing before she started Buy Me Once.
- 04:19 - How Tara overcame her love for mindless shopping.
- 06:12 - Why it's so easy to overbuy.
- 08:23 - The start of Buy Me Once.
- 15:28 - The inspiration behind A Life Less Throwaway.
- 17:57 - Tara reads an extract from her book about her 'mindful curation' process.
- 22:58 - Tara's tips for decluttering your home.
- 24:34 - Some techniques to make sure you don't get bored of your posessions.
- 28:00 - Some of Tara's all time favourite longlife buys.
- 30:18 - What's next for Tara.
- A Life Less Throwaway by Tara Button.
- Buy Me Once.
- Tara Button.
- Le Creuset pots.
- Some of Tara's most-loved lifetime guarantee buys: Davek umbrella, lifetime guaranteed pen and Klean Kanteen water bottle.
- The Make It Last petition.
- Introduction of A Life Less Throwaway.
- Buy Me Once on facebook, twitter, instagram and pinterest.
- Tara on twitter and instagram.
click on the Twitter icon to share my favourite quote from this episode
I want to give you the tools to understand what you need and don't need, and how to make the objects in your life work for you in the long-term.
Thank you so much for listening and being a part of Tea & Tattle podcast. As always, I love to hear your thoughts, so please let me know:
What did you enjoy most about this episode? Are you keen to read Tara's book? What are your views on mindful shopping?
Remember to tune in on Friday for the next instalment of Tea Reads, and next Tuesday, Sophie and I are chatting about 'mansplaining,' and what this new word says about the world we experience as women.