58 | The Girl Who Climbed Everest
Listen to Episode 58: The Girl Who Climbed Everest
Also Available on iTunes
Hello and Happy New Year! I hope you all had wonderful holidays and are having a fantastic start to 2018. I am so delighted to be back with Tea & Tattle Podcast, and I've got a fabulous episode for the start of the New Year.
Bonita Norris is a mountaineer who has broken many records. She is one of the youngest British women to have climbed Mount Everest, and last year she published a book about this experience, The Girl Who Climbed Everest.
Even though I am far from sporty and would never dream of climbing a mountain, I found Bonita's book completely engrossing. It was fascinating to learn what being in the Death Zone of Everest is actually like (downright terrifying), but even more interesting to me was learning how Bonita uses the skills of mindfulness and living in the moment to push through fear and self-doubt and achieve incredible success.
I feel I read this book at exactly the right time: during a period when I was struggling to stay positive and to keep pushing forward. The Girl Who Climbed Everest is a fantastic read for anyone who's trying to achieve a goal, as Bonita shows that simply not giving up, taking one small step at a time and trusting her instinct led her from randomly attending a lecture on mountaineering with a friend, to climbing the world's highest mountain less than two years later. Big dreams are possible - as long as you don't give up!
Click through the images to see some of Bonita's climbing adventures.
In today's episode, Bonita shares more about what she's learnt from tackling death-defying climbs; how a near fatal descent from Everest taught her to overcome a fear of failure and how climbing has helped her become more courageous in other areas of her life. It's a fantastic listen that will be bound to inspire and encourage you to stick to those New Year resolutions!
Listen to learn more about climbing Everest and what it takes to achieve incredible goals.
- 00:27 - Miranda introduces Bonita Norris.
- 02:35 - How Bonita went from never climbing a mountain to reaching the summit of Everest less than 2 years later.
- 05:13 - Giving back to the mountaineering community.
- 07:07 - How Bonita found the resilience to just keep going.
- 13:23 - Bonita reads an extract from her book.
- 19:20 - How Bonita uses mindfulness to develop mental stamina and focus on the task at hand.
- 22:20 - Bonita shares how experiencing a near fatal descent on Everest ultimately made her a better climber.
- 27:06 - How mountaineering has helped Bonita to be more courageous in other areas of her life.
- 28:45 - What's next for Bonita.
- The Girl Who Climbed Everest by Bonita Norris.
- Kenton Cool.
- Rob Casserley.
- Find Bonita's website and instagram.
click on the Twitter icon to share my favourite quote from this episode
Just take one more step, and then you can give up.
Thank you so much for listening and being a part of Tea & Tattle podcast. As always, I love to hear your thoughts, so please let me know:
What did you enjoy most about this episode? Will you apply any of Bonita's advice in reaching your goals?
I'm in conversation with the extraordinary Johanna Basford, who has taken the world by storm with her beautiful adult colouring books.