35 | A Chat With Laetitia Maklouf
Listen to Episode 35: A Chat With Laetitia Maklouf
Also Available on iTunes
In today's Tea & Tattle episode, I'm continuing the botanical theme from last week and am chatting with Laetitia Maklouf, an expert in horticulture and author of The Virgin Gardener and Sweet Peas for Summer. In the interview, Laetitia talks about how she discovered her passion for gardening in her late 20s, which led her to quit her job and enrol in a horticulture course at The Chelsea Physic Garden, London. She never looked back!
Only having a small balcony and some windowsills to work with, Laetitia quickly became an expert at gardening in a small space. Her first book, The Virgin Gardener, is full of tips and accessible projects for the beginner gardener who may not have much ground to work with, or who prefers to start small. Sweet Peas for Summer describes Laetitia's move to a home with a proper garden and is a great resource for larger-scale gardeners (scroll down for some photos of what Laetitia's garden looks like today!).
In my discussion with Laetitia, I asked her advice on growing my own house-plants and what to do with a small patio. Laetitia also explained her 5 Minute Gardening instagram project and shared some of her favourite London gardens and nurseries (we bonded over a mutual love for Petersham Nurseries!).
Listen to hear some fabulous tips for growing plants in a small space.
Laetitia kindly shared some photos of her garden and indoor plants for any interested listeners. Scroll through the slideshow to view her lovely plants - I love all the purple flowers and green ferns!
- 00:24 - Miranda introduces Laetitia Maklouf.
- 02:05 - Laetitia describes how she stumbled upon her passion for gardening and gave up her job to pursue a horticultural course at the Chelsea Physic Garden.
- 07:21 - Tips for growing house plants in the home.
- 11:21 - How Laetitia came to write The Virgin Gardener.
- 14:55 - Laetitia shares her suggestions for building a patio garden.
- 18:54 - What Laetitia's garden looks like today.
- 22:12 - Laetitia's 5 Minutes a Day gardening project.
- 24:10 - Favourite London gardens.
- 26:25 - Laetitia's plans for the future.
- The Virgin Gardener by Laetitia Maklouf.
- Sweet Peas for Summer by Laetitia Maklouf.
- Chelsea Physic Garden.
- Kentia Palm.
- Ceropegia Woodii.
- Macrame plant hangers.
- Petersham Nurseries.
- Yellow Book National Garden Scheme.
- Kew Gardens.
- W6 Garden Centre.
- Clifton Nurseries.
- Laetitia's website, instagram, twitter and facebook.
click on the Twitter icon to share my favourite quote from this episode
In essence, gardening is man taming nature.
- Laetitia Maklouf
Thank you so much for listening and being a part of Tea & Tattle podcast. As always, I love to hear your thoughts, so please let me know:
What did you enjoy most about this episode? Are you now inspired to try your hand at a new gardening project?
Note: Photos of Laetitia Maklouf by Jill Mead. Photos of Laetitia's garden courtesy Laetitia Maklouf.