23 | A Chat With Amelia Singer
Listen to Episode 23: A Chat With Amelia Singer
Also Available on iTunes
This Tuesday, I'm joined by the utterly delightful Amelia Singer, a wine educator and expert. You may recognise Amelia as a host on ITV's The Wine Show and also from her videos on Jamie Oliver's Drinks Tube. Amelia runs her online website and event business, offering a range of events, wine tastings and insights into the wine industry. I can't wait to book one of Amelia's Mews House Musings supper clubs, which she hosts in her own home in Notting Hill.
I'm a big fan of Amelia's fun, accessible approach to wine, and I had a wonderful time chatting to her for this episode. Our talk ranged from what it's like to be a woman in a fairly male-dominated industry, to Amelia's favourite book and wine pairings.
We also discussed the best way to serve champagne (and surprising food that goes particularly well with bubbles - who knew fish & chips would be such a hit?!), as well as great wine bars in London and what drink to order on a first date. Amelia is such an incredible source of knowledge on everything wine related - I could have spoken to her for hours!
Listen for a fun conversation on women in the wine industry, book and wine pairings, what to drink on a first date and so much more.
- 00:25 - Miranda introduces Amelia Singer.
- 01:52 - Amelia explains a little about her background and how she first became interested in wine.
- 05:55 - Working for The Wine Show.
- 07:08 - Miranda questions Amelia on what it was like to break into what appears to be a fairly male dominated industry.
- 12:07 - Amelia pairs three of her favourite novels with the ideal wine she would drink with each one.
- 17:17 - How best to drink champagne and recommended food to serve alongside.
- 20:38 - Miranda asks Amelia about her Wine Speed Dating events, and what wine she recommends ordering on a first date.
- 23:00 - Amelia's favourite places to buy and drink wine in London.
- 25:19 - Amelia recommends English vineyards to try.
- 26:57 - What's next for Amelia.
- Amelia's website.
- The Wine Show.
- Jamie Oliver's Drinks Tube.
- Jancis Robinson, wine critic.
- Jilly Goolden, wine critic.
- Christine Parkinson, wine buyer at Hakkasan.
- Whitney Adams's wine website.
- Helena Nicklin of Wine Bird.
- Middlemarch by George Eliot.
- A white Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
- Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh.
- Jacques Selosse champagne.
- Flannery O'Conner short stories.
- JaM cellars Butter Chardonnay.
- Popcorn Chardonnay.
- Amelia's wine events.
- The 10 Cases, Covent Garden London.
- Drop wine app.
- The Sampler.
- Nyetimber English wines.
- Ridgeview Wine Estate.
- Hambledon Vineyard.
- Wiston Estate.
- Find Amelia on her website, facebook, twitter, instagram and youtube.
click on the Twitter icon to share our favourite quote from this episode
I consider wine to be one of the Arts.
- Amelia Singer
Thank you so much for listening and being a part of Tea & Tattle podcast. As always, we love to hear your thoughts, so please let us know:
What did you like most about this episode? Do you have any favourite book and wine pairings, or London bar recommendations? How do you like to serve champagne?
Tune in again next Tuesday, when I'm chatting with Brontë Aurell of Scandi Kitchen. We had a fabulous conversation about Brontë's wonderful cookbooks, what she misses most about Denmark and how she and her husband run such a successful London business.