13 | A Chat With Navaz Batliwalla
Listen to Episode 13: A Chat With Navaz Batliwalla
Also Available on iTunes
In this week's episode, I'm interviewing Navaz Batliwalla on her recently published book The New Garconne: How to be a Modern Gentlewoman. As well as her work as a freelance fashion consultant and editor, Navaz writes the fashion blog, Disneyrollergirl, which was listed as one of the Top 40 Blogs That Really Count by The Times. In her book, Navaz describes the style of the 'Modern Gentlewoman': sophisticated, yet practical; influenced by menswear, but with a distinctly feminine twist. With over 1 million followers of her fashion boards on Pinterest, Navaz has clearly captured a style philosophy that resonates with the modern woman.
I picked up The New Garconne on a whim in Foyles and then had to buy it, as I was instantly enthralled by Navaz's fascinating interviews with women who embody the 'gentlewoman style', such as Bella Freud, Lyn Harris and Caroline Issa.
In this interview, Navaz shares her definition of what it means to be a 'modern gentlewoman,' as well as her challenges in bringing the book together and how she managed to pin down such prominent women to interview. I also love her suggestions for wardrobe staples and top fashion destinations in London.
Listen for some fabulous style inspiration!
- 00:32 - Miranda introduces Navaz Batliwalla.
- 01:17 - Navaz explains a little about herself and how she broke into the fashion industry.
- 03:54 - The start of Disneyrollergirl.
- 06:06 - Navaz summarises the 'modern gentlewoman' ethos.
- 07:52- What makes 'gentlewoman style' so appealing to the modern woman.
- 10:12 - How Navaz secured interviews for her book and the type of woman she wanted to feature.
- 15:28 - The book's timescale and Navaz's creative vision of what she wanted.
- 18:36 - The top 5 items every 'modern gentlewoman' should have in her closet.
- 20:26 - Navaz explains how her own personal style has evolved over the years.
- 22:17 - Navaz's favourite fashion destinations in London.
- The New Garconne: How to be a Modern Gentlewoman by Navaz Batliwalla.
- Navaz's blog, pinterest, instagram, facebook and twitter accounts.
- Perfumer H (Lyn Harris).
- Bella Freud.
- Caroline Issa.
- COS, & Other Stories and Joseph.
- Dover Street Market.
- The Shop at Bluebird.
- Portobello Market & Golborne Road.
- Paul Smith.
- Couverture & The Garbstore
click on the Twitter icon to share my favourite quote from this episode
An intelligent and independent approach to life and style.
- Navaz Batliwalla, on gentlewoman style
Thank you so much for listening and being a part of Tea & Tattle podcast. As always, we love to hear your thoughts, so please let us know:
What did you enjoy most about this episode? Does the 'modern gentlewoman' fashion sensibility appeal to you? What are your thoughts on mixing masculine and feminine items of clothing?
Sophie is back on the podcast, and we're revealing what Love Language we speak, just in time for Valentine's Day...