06 | Party Etiquette Tips
Listen to Episode 6: Party Etiquette Tips
Also Available on iTunes
Sophie and I are getting into the festive spirit, as we discuss etiquette tips to help guide hosts and guests alike through the whirlwind of the party season. We provide our most handy hints for smooth sailing when you're entertaining and tackle common bug-bears such as how to get people to RSVP promptly, whether it's acceptable to ask guests to remove their shoes (assuming there's no cultural custom to do so) and what hosts should do when a drink invariably spills.
- 00:55 - The girls share their recent Jump for Joys.
- 05:10 - Do-over time!
- 06:52 - Miranda introduces the main topic.
- 07:40 - The best forms of invitation, and a tip for handling people who don't RSVP.
- 13:35 - Arriving at a party. Both Sophie and Miranda agree that guests should never be early, and give their thoughts on how they deal with friends who ask to arrive before a party begins so they can 'help.'
- 17:57 - Shoes on or off at a party? Sophie doesn't mind, but Miranda reveals her inner Carrie Bradshaw.
- 19:59 - Favourite hostess gifts. The girls also tackle the question as to whether the host should serve wine that is brought by a guest.
- 23:03 - How a host should always make a guest feel welcome when they first arrive.
- 25:05 - The question of food. Should a guest take responsibility and inform their host as to any allergies or dietary requirements, or should a good host seek out this information?
- 28:01 - Miranda's favourite words of wisdom on being a gracious hostess.
- 29:21 - Sophie's excellent advice for well-prepared if something spills on your floor.
- 30:39 - How to follow up with thanks after a party.
- 32:00 - Culture Corner! Miranda and Sophie share something cultural they've been loving lately.
- Danish Christmas Market.
- Bloom & Wild Mini Christmas Tree.
- Paperless Post.
- Entertaining tips from Ina Garten.
- North by Northwest.
- Cambridge Literary Festival.
- The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry (read Miranda's review here).
- Golden Hill by Francis Spufford.
click on the Twitter icon to share our favourite quote from this episode
Now the party's really started!
- Ina Garten
Thank you so much for listening and being a part of Tea & Tattle podcast. As always, we love to hear your thoughts, so please let us know:
What are your best etiquette tips for parties? Do you have any handy hints for getting people to RSVP, or how to deal with early arrivals as a host? Do you mind being asked to take off your shoes?
Ysenda Maxtone Graham is in conversation with Miranda, discussing her recently published book, Term & Conditions. I can assure you this is an episode you won't want to miss, so make sure to order a copy of Terms & Conditions if you can (if you don't have time to read it before next week, then it's the perfect reading material for Boxing Day).